We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Nowadays, buying fresh greens in winter is not a problem, but growing it at home is not losing its popularity.
However, in order to get the most useful and high-quality products, it is important to know how to grow greens on the windowsill.
- What greens can be grown in an apartment
- What can be grown on a windowsill in winter
- How to grow greens on a windowsill in winter, video
- How to grow greens on a windowsill in spring
- What soil is recommended to use
- How to grow greenery on a windowsill without land
- How to fertilize greens on the windowsill
- Greenery on the windowsill: tips for beginners
What greens can be grown in an apartment
Growing greenery at home does not involve any special expenses, or especially painstaking work on the result.
Almost any plant can be grown indoors, but the most productive is the planting of early-maturing varieties with a short ripening period. In addition, these seedlings must be resistant to lack of sunlight.
In apartment conditions, especially in winter, it is quite difficult to provide the seedlings with sufficient lighting. This problem can be solved with the help of an additional light source, but if you do not want to spend money on this, you should pay attention to the plant's resistance to light deficiency.
It is important not to forget about the size of the plant. It is both difficult and inconvenient to grow tall varieties in apartment conditions. Therefore, when choosing seeds, it is recommended to pay attention to undersized varieties.
Of course, you can grow anything, with the proper desire. However, undersized and unpretentious crops will develop better than others in apartment conditions: parsley, onion, dill, coriander and cilantro. What is found in abundance in vegetable gardens in summer and does not need to provide a special microclimate.
What can be grown on a windowsill in winter
In winter, when the window is white and white, you should not rely on environmentally friendly herbs from personal plots. However, this problem can be solved by growing your own mini-garden in the house.
So in a closed room, you can grow vegetables and herbs such as:
- Basil - Purple, Marquis or Clove
- Cilantro - for dressing salads;
- Watercress - Prestige, Spring, Danish;
- Foliage lettuce - Odessa kucheryavets, Dubolisty, Grand Rapids;
- Mustard mustard - Prima, Mustang, Freckle;
- Green onions - Chernigov, Union, Rostov. It is grown rather for the feathers, which grow quickly and easily recover;
- Peppermint and lemon balm - ideal for shopping green tea;
- Vegetable Purslane - Paradox, Gold;
- Parsley - Curly, Aster, Common leaf;
- Arugula - Poker, Corsica, Rocket;
- Beetroot - Emerald, Beauty, Scarlet;
- Celery - Samurai, Zakhar, Cheerfulness;
- Dill - Richelieu, Grenadier;
- Chicory salad - Express, Raketa, Danish;
- Spinach - Stoic, Bordeaux, Virofle;
- Common sorrel.
The number of varieties and species that can be grown in apartment conditions in winter is almost unlimited. Of course, the taste of such herbs and vegetables will not be as pronounced as that of a garden one, however, these herbs will definitely not be inferior to purchased ones and will definitely not contain harmful chemicals.
Let's watch a video about the features of winter growing greens with backlight:
Arranging a garden on your own windowsill is a matter that does not require special knowledge or effort. You can grow herbs in simple containers for indoor flowers, wooden and plastic boxes. It is important that the boxes do not let in too much water.
In addition, when planting and leaving in winter, it is important to take into account a number of nuances:
- The optimal length for a box is considered to be 40-50 cm with a width of 20-25 cm and a depth of 12-15 cm. At the same time, a drainage layer must be located at the bottom, for which expanded clay or simple pebbles can be used;
- Before direct planting, it is recommended to water the prepared substrate with hot water. You can prepare the soil yourself, or purchase it at any gardening store. In wet soil, make small grooves into which the seeds are poured. After planting, sprinkle the planting material with a small layer of soil;
- It is recommended to place containers with seedlings on the southern or southwestern windowsill, closer to the warmth and sunlight, which all herbs need so much;
- It is important to take into account that in winter plants often suffer from the dry heat of radiators, therefore it is recommended to cover the latter with special shields and not forget about humidifying the air. This will be useful not only for seedlings, but also for the general microclimate in the apartment. If it is not possible to purchase a special device for humidifying the air, you can always just put a damp cloth on the battery;
- It is recommended to water the seedlings once every two days. For this, it is better to use settled water at room temperature. It is better to water in two approaches in small portions;
- If, after watering with such water, the leaves begin to lose color, the plant may be affected by chlorosis. This often develops as a result of too high acidity of the water, which prevents the dissolution of nutrients in the soil. This can only be corrected with the help of special phyto-mixtures, which can also be purchased at a specialized store;
- It is important to take into account that, even when placed in the right place, plants still suffer from a lack of light in winter. They will still grow, but at the same time they will significantly lose in the amount of vitamins and outwardly turn out to be nondescript and pale.
- This problem can be corrected only by arranging an additional light source. For this, it is recommended to purchase fluorescent lamps to extend daylight hours to, optimal for many crops, twelve to sixteen hours.
Plants grown in winter on their windowsill compare favorably with purchased ones by the absence of chemical additives, a large amount of vitamins and freshness. Such an additive can be safely added to salads without fear of harming your body, because you only get what you have brought in. An environmentally friendly and healthy product.
Let's watch a video on how to grow greens on a windowsill in winter:
How to grow greens on a windowsill in spring
The technology of growing a variety of herbs and vegetables in an apartment in spring is almost identical to growing greenery in winter. So, for example, since in spring, despite the increase in daylight hours, the weather is still cool, many are in no hurry to turn off the heating. Therefore, the heat of the batteries, as well as in winter, can harm the seedlings. Watering frequency, planting rules - all this does not depend on the time of year outside the window.
The only thing worth paying attention to is an increase in daylight hours, which will save on additional lighting. The maximum benefit can be obtained by placing the seedlings on the south or southwest windowsill.
In spring, in an enclosed space, you can grow not only salads and onions, but also seedlings for subsequent planting in open ground. It is recommended to even gradually accustom the latter to outdoor conditions, temporarily exposing them to an open balcony.
What soil is recommended to use
Soil is one of the main points to pay attention to when preparing a garden bed on a windowsill.
For full and rapid growth and development, the soil must contain a number of components:
- Sod land - 30%;
- Coconut fiber - 20%;
- Coarse (river) sand - 20%;
- Leafy soil or peat - 20%;
- Perlite - 10%.
If you have all the components, you can make the mixture yourself. However, if there is no way to get the necessary components, or there is no desire to mess around, you can always purchase a universal substrate for growing seedlings. This can be found in any specialty store.
After the problem with the soil is resolved, it is important not to forget to disinfect it. This can be helped by drugs such as Maxim or Previkur, which prevent the development of fungal infections.
How to grow greenery on a windowsill without land
Despite the fact that soil is the main component necessary for the normal growth and development of a plant, it is by no means always the only possible substrate. It is important to understand that a soil with a minimum amount of nutrients will not provide plants with the necessary micro and macro elements.
Top dressing plays an important role in growing crops, as a result of which hydroponics is becoming more and more popular.
The essence of the direction is that nutrients are supplied to the roots through special devices. In this case, the role of the substrate is performed by perlite, expanded clay or vermiculite, impregnated with a nutrient solution of phosphorus, nitrogen, potassium, copper, iron, zinc, magnesium and calcium - all elements necessary for the normal growth and development of seedlings.
Everything else in this direction is not amenable to change.
Plants still need enough light and it is better if the light is natural. However, if this is not possible, additional sources of artificial lighting are quite suitable.
The hydroponic method makes it possible to get a large yield using a relatively small area. At the same time, not only traditional feather onions can be grown in this way, but also many other crops. So only on a water basis with the addition of nutrients, it is quite possible to grow such spicy plants as basil, cilantro, dill, parsley, mint, rosemary, lemon balm and others.
In addition to spices, watercress also grows well in an aquatic nutrient medium. In some cases, it can develop without the addition of additional fertilizing at all, only in water. However, nutrients will provide a greater set of leaf mass.
You can start growing greenery using hydroponics by purchasing a special system, but it is quite expensive. In most cases, it is much cheaper to build your own system, there is nothing complicated about it.
When preparing your own system, it is important to take into account the main feature of the method - to serve the nutrient mixture in small portions. In some cases, the nutrient solution is completely sprayed into the air, growing the plant in the air using the aeroponics method, but this method is quite difficult for beginners.
Despite the fact that many are wary of growing plants without soil, this method has a number of undeniable advantages. So a crop from such a site can be obtained faster, it grows healthier, while requiring a minimum of time to care.
How to fertilize greens on the windowsill
There is a huge number of possible complex fertilizers recommended for feeding indoor and garden crops. However, this does not mean that you can take anyone, on the contrary, the choice should be approached with all possible responsibility.
The best fertilizer for a garden bed is considered to be such simple organic products as banana peels, ash, egg shells and yeast.
These funds are good because they do not require additional spending from the family budget. However, these fertilizers also have their drawbacks. An unpleasant odor may occur in a closed room. An exception is a solution of iodine or sugar in a glass of water.
Of course, complex supplements can be purchased if desired. However, when introducing them, it is important to take into account that it is not worth adding too many such funds, as this can lead to stretching of the plants.
Greenery on the windowsill: tips for beginners
Having made the decision to grow your own garden on the windowsill for the first time, it is important to know where to start and how to continue this business.
But there is no need to worry in advance, there is nothing difficult about it, the main thing is to adhere to the basic rules:
- The substrate must be lightweight for maximum air and moisture permeability. The ideal option is a mixture of vermicompost with coconut fiber in a ratio of one to two;
- If you decide not to bother and take the soil from the city, it must be disinfected. Otherwise, there is a danger of losing both a possible crop and indoor flowers as a result of an attack of infections;
- At the bottom of the container, as in the case of planting flowers, it is imperative to lay a drainage layer no more than two centimeters in height. In this case, the pot must have holes for water to drain;
- It is recommended to irrigate with a spray, adding a little fertilizer to the water for irrigation every few weeks;
- When choosing crops for cultivation, it is recommended to give preference to undersized and early species;
- It is better to start germinating seeds in the fall. The warmth and length of daylight hours at this time will help the seedlings rise faster;
- In winter, only fluorescent lamps compensate for the lack of sunlight, ordinary ones will not work, since they emit more heat than light. It is recommended to place lamps at a height of no more than half a meter above the seedlings;
- In order for the green mass to grow evenly, it is recommended to constantly rotate the plants.
Growing greenery on your own windowsill is not that difficult. It is enough to spend a little time and effort so that the home garden turns green with a fresh crop, which can be immediately sent to the table.
Growing greenery at home does not require any special knowledge or effort. However, even the minimum of time spent pays off in full, giving a chance to forget about store herbs for a long time.